Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 13th Cohort Meeting Reflection Prompt

1) Name of Meeting: What is leadership? What is a leader?

2) I first learned that no matter what you may think about certain aspects of leadership, there is    always another perspective, opinion, or suggestion to what leadership is or what a leader must be. I also learned that through creative discussion, pictures, interactive games, and video clips leadership can be explained and further clarified. By putting what we are learning in to applicable situations and evaluations it further deepens the importance of us grasping the material. Finally, I learned about our trip to Camp Palmer and all the necessary items that will have to be packed!

3) I don't believe that my definition of leadership has technically changed, I feel that I have just been educated and opened up to the greater possibilities and perspectives when thinking about leaders and leadership. I feel that leaders that I come in contact with every day that challenge the typical stereotype of leadership are the students who reach out to others in need, stand up for someone who is in need of support, or do the right thing when no one is watching. The silent leader is often not praised and I respect those individuals for what they do, which takes a lot of compassion and courage.

4) For someone to learn and to lead at the same time I believe that individual must first be loyal and dedicated to the goals and aspirations of the group of people they are leading. Then that leader must work and be driven by the hopes and input of those around them and work for the common good or the completion of the task at hand.

5) I included this picture of Forest Gump because I believe that it was a movie that could have fit in perfectly with the others we viewed this week. Tom Hanks as Forest Gump demonstrated leadership approaches including:

Great Man Approach: Although he was challenged from a young age, Forest never let anything stop him.
Trait Approach: During his time running across country, others were drawn to him from and followed him everywhere.
Complexity Leadership Theory: Forest's interaction with Jenny, his ability to learn and grow with her, and even marry her after all they went through. 
 Behavioral Approach: Due to his concern and compassion for others.
 Transforming Leadership: His work with Lt Dan and raising him up to enjoy life.
 Adaptive Leadership: Seen during his time of service in the military.
 Situational Contingency Approaches: When Forest went back to save Bubba during the attack.
 Servant Leadership: His time playing Ping Pong for the United States. 

5 comments:

  1. Forrest Gump is a wonderful movie, and you did a terrific job of pointing out all the aspects of his leadership! Plus, I really like your explanation of the "silent leader". It's very true, and they're really some of the best leaders. We would not be where we are without them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: How did you get your blog so pretty?? I don't want mine quite as pretty as yours, but some color would be nice in mine... it's so dull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really just messed around with it! There are design settings and honestly I happened upon it by accident. Just look for blog design I believe. & thank you for your input, means a lot!!

      Delete
  3. I love your picture! Forrest Gump is a great movie and you have very good examples of the different types of leadership. I also agree that my leadership definition has not really changed but I have become more aware of the variety of definitions of leadership there are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your comment about leaders being loyal and dedicated to the group and its goal is very important and true. If they are not loyal to the group and just do things for themselves they are not good leaders.

    ReplyDelete